Register self-employed in Czech Republic

Whether you're a language teacher, an online marketer or an expat with a skill or service you plan to sell, if you're living in the Czech Republic while you do it, you'll need to be properly registered and paying the correct taxes.

Registering for a trade licence certificate (‘živnostenský list’) is the easiest way to start working freelance in the Czech Republic.

Convenient for online freelancers

Once registered, you'll be able to issue invoices to customers immediately.

There are simple tax options

You'll pay personal income tax on your freelance earnings with a simplified deduction scheme available.

Quicker and easier than registering a company

After doing the paperwork, you'll be all set up with a bookkeeper and ready to do business.

Get help from our expert

Our expert will assist you with the process from start to finish. After a no-obligation, in-person meeting to discuss your exact circumstances and answer any questions you have, you’ll get a personalised quote for setup. This will consist of a one-time setup fee and an ongoing fee to cover bookkeeping and filing services. There are also some government costs to pay.

Once things get started, your expert will tell you what documents are needed, how to get them and where they need to be submitted. They’ll be on hand for any question you have and to help you overcome any hiccups. Once you’re ready to start doing business, you’ll receive an invoicing guide explaining how to write an invoice either electronically or on paper and they can also advise on the proration of taxes, and general banking advice.

Please note - you’ll need to be located in Czech Republic with an address here. This process can’t be done remotely.

What are the steps?


Sort a business address

You'll need to include a business address when you register for a trade licence. This can be the accommodation you rent or own. You'll need the landlord's signed permission if you rent.

If that's not an option, there are companies that can provide you with a registered business address for a fee.

Register for the trade licence

You'll do this at your local trade license office ('živnostenský odbor'). The fee is 1,000 CZK, and you'll need your passport, supporting documents and a criminal record check. A trade licence is usually issued within 15 days.

If you're a non-EEA/EU citizen, you'll also need a freelance visa.

Register for tax and social security

Once your trade registration is sorted, you must register at the Revenue Office and the Czech Social Security Authority.

Get sorted with your bookkeeper

A bookkeeper can then help you with the last bits of admin, get you ready to invoice customers and help you with your tax returns.

Ready to speak to an expert?

Fill in one short form and we'll get back to you shortly to arrange a no-obligation chat with our local expert.

Got questions?

We'll try to cover them?

Who's going to be helping me?

In the Czech Republic, we work with local business consultants who specialise in working with freelancers and understand the practical and legal requirements.

Do I even need to register self-employed?

If you're working for a single employer that is based or has an office in the Czech Republic, it's probably easier for them to hire you. Or, depending on what exactly you do, registering a company might be better. Our expert will discuss options with you at your meeting.

Can I do this myself?

There is nothing stopping you registering self-employed however you'll find it very difficult without knowing Czech. A local expert helps you navigate the system more easily.

Is this a guaranteed process?

Most people have no problem registering as self-employed in the Czech Repulic. Provided your honest and accurate when registering with the government and provide all the required documentation in a timely fashion, nothing should go wrong. Where there are bumps in the road, our expert will do their very best to help you overcome them.

Contact us

Got any questions? Don't hesitate to reach out.